Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Crunch Time for Easter Prep

Several years ago I got tired of realizing at the last minute that I didn't have everything I needed on hand for holidays just days before the actual holiday.  So I started to make an effort to plan ahead so I didn't have to feel overwhelmed and frazzled the night before a major holiday.  These little post it note reminders that I have used from year to year have been so invaluable to me.

During Advent I have post it notes that tell me when to buy stocking stuffers, or chocolate Santa's for St. Nicholas' feast day. And notes telling me when I should make sure the kids and I have outfits, stockings, shoes and whatever else is needed.  There's even a note telling me when to make cookies and how many batches of each to make.  It makes life a lot easier and I don't have to try to remember what I need to do.

During Lent I have reminders telling me what candy to buy and when.  I also have notes that tell me to order Easter outfits (if I haven't already) and more notes telling me to make sure we have tights, stocking and shoes and all dresses, shirts and dress pants ironed.  That note about shoes, tights and ironing is for this week.  I used to wait until Holy Week to do the ironing, but I've come to find that after Holy Thursday night life starts to feel chaotic if I have to gather up outfits and get things ironed.  The Triduum has a way of making me feel like I've been put through the ringer every year.  It's probably the most exhausting, but beautiful and spiritually fulfilling three days of the year.  So I just don't have time or the energy after Holy Thursday to fill Easter eggs with candy, stuff baskets or iron clothes.  It's just not happening.  I hardly have the energy to think of new hiding places for Easter eggs after the Easter Vigil.  One of these years I'm going to just dump them all in one place for one lucky kid to find.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...