Thursday, July 5, 2012

Teething is Tough

The past week and a half here have been pretty rough.  Katie is cutting several teeth and that translates into a lot of screaming.  When the house is completely quiet [which is rare] Bryan and I still think we hear Katie crying.

I'm exhausted.  Katie has been waking up in the middle of the night because of the teeth and the icky cold she seems to have developed.  Why are teeth and yucky snotty colds so prone to happening at the same time?  So back to her waking in the middle of the night.  Most nights this happens minutes after I fall asleep in our bed.  This isn't just cranky baby waking up and crying.  No this is screaming at the top of her lungs baby.  No crying, just screams.  Screams that I bet you can hear a few houses away at 2am if you happen to be awake.

I feel like I'm dragging.  Katie is usually a very happy baby, but this teething business has made her quite crabby.  A few days ago tooth number one cut all the way through.  Now tooth number two is partially in, and the bottom teeth look like they'll be breaking through pretty soon.  The timing for all of this is, of course, most inopportune.  Teething while Bryan was in Nashville was a big drain on me.  I had hoped things would get better once he was home but they haven't. The drool turned into snot and the snot turned into a cold which is now in both eyes.  She's cranky and I'm thinking about how it might be nice and Bryan and I had the ability to go somewhere for a weekend.  I'm already seriously considering going on a retreat next spring.

The screaming, crying, snotting and sleep deprivation are making it hard for me to think straight.  VBS starts on Monday and the last minute things I need to to are taking me quite a while to do because I need to tend to Katie.  This is turn is stressing me out.   I can't tell 150+ people that I've got a teething, sick baby and need to push VBS to the back burner.  I'm inching towards having everything done, but like most things over the past year, it's not following my control freak time line.  Alas, I'm still learning that I'm really not the one in control.

Tomorrow I'll take Katie over to the school to start doing what I originally had planned for Sunday.  Madeline has to altar serve for a funeral in the morning and a wedding later in the afternoon.  My plan is to work on decorating the parts of the school that are my job and to get all of the materials distributed to the classrooms for the teachers.  If all goes well, I may be able to finish decorating tomorrow, but only God knows what tomorrow will have in store for me.  I'm praying that Katie will kick this yucky cold and that I will be able to do everything I need to do with no difficulty.

2 comments:

  1. Just stumbled upon your post when I googled teething. Read how you said the cold was in her eyes. May be worth your while to get her ears checked just to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also was not trying to offend or say how to parent, I know how wrong sometime people take things and meant no offense :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...