Saturday, July 14, 2012

Rapid Fire Teething

Katie's teething has me amazed.  Three weeks ago she didn't have any teeth, and now she has four that have cut their way through!

Her top left tooth looks like it's getting bigger and bigger with each passing day.  A tiny corner of it's neighbor cut through a day or two ago.  Two days ago we discovered that the top of her bottom left tooth was through, and today the right one was above the gums.

If you had told me a few months ago that I'd still be nursing Katie when she had teeth I would have laughed at you.  But here I am doing what I thought would be impossible.  Both Madeline and Ellie bit me very hard as soon as their first tooth was in.  By the time Madeline bit me she was almost weaned, so her biting ended her nursing days.  I tried to nurse Ellie when she got her teeth, but I weaned her almost immediately when she bit me and left a nice bleeding gash.  OUCH!

So far Katie has been pretty responsible with her little sharp teeth.  I keep asking Bryan if he thinks this is because she dislikes bottles and sippy cups so much.  When she does start to nibble, I've just been popping her off and setting her down.  I'm hopeful that doing this will teach her that biting means she's not eating.  So far the only times she has tried biting is when she's done or nearly done eating.

If she does start chomping down on me I don't know what we're going to do.  I don't think she'll stand for moving over to a bottle or cup.  For the moment I'm just taking things a day at a time and praying that she doesn't try to test out those new teeth each time I sit down to feed her.

The past week was really rough with her waking up cranky either from teething or the ear infection.  That coupled with the stress of VBS was almost more "fun" than I ought to have most days.  Four out of five of the nights during VBS left me feeling VERY sleep deprived the next day.  I was wiped out enough that I never took the older girls out to the pool during the week because I was worried that I might fall asleep while we were out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...