Saturday, October 1, 2011

Random Observations

Tomorrow I will be 39 weeks pregnant, if we go by the due date the midwives set.  Based on my chart, I'd say I hit that point today, but I'm not going to split hairs over the date.  No matter how you look at it, I'm a week more pregnant than I have ever been.  Who knows how long this will last.  I suspect that the baby isn't planning on budging anytime soon.  Being a person who does not like to be in cramped or close quarters, I can't fathom why this incredibly active baby does not want to seek an area with more space.  I bet she's going to be wondering why she didn't come out sooner once she's born and she can flail about as freely as she likes.

I'm amazed at how neighbors, friends, people whom I have never met face to face, and random strangers are more interested and excited about this baby than my in-laws.  It's something that totally baffles Bryan and I.  We simply don't get it.

Going on a hayride can be placed in the category of things that will not cause contractions.  It may, however, be an opportunity for random strangers to perform totally random and unexpected acts of kindness.  I was really surprised when it was time to pick pumpkins and the mom of a cute little baby boy handed her son off to another person in their party to extend her hand to help me get up.  Then when the hayride was over Bryan and her husband helped me up.  It was such a simple gesture that I really appreciated.

The hayride, despite not being bumpy enough, was pretty nice.  The girls enjoyed themselves and I managed to get a few pictures of them.  We picked four nice pumpkins which I hope to carve up when we get closer to Halloween.  You know, things to do with all my spare time.  I wonder how the pumpkins will look when they're carved by a sleep deprived me.  Let's hope I don't stupidly cut off one of my fingers.

Breathing gets harder as the baby gets larger.  If I'm not sitting just right, I find that I don't have very much lung capacity.  At some point I wonder if the baby will realize that she's smothering me from the inside.  I would think she'd really care about an important detail like that given that her life depends on me being able to breathe at the moment.

I'm finding it rather funny that maternity pants still won't stay up on me.  I'm still wearing my pre-pregnancy bottoms with a nifty hair tie holding the button shut.  So while I'm still in my regular bottoms, I'm on the verge of needing larger maternity tops.  Just how I've managed to require maternity tops for the past six months but have been unable to wear maternity bottoms continues to amaze me.  I keep joking with Bryan that I wonder if I'll fit in my jeans after I have the baby.

Equally funny is people who see me from behind keep coming up to peek at my stomach to see if I've had the baby.  I'm frequently being told that I don't look pregnant from behind.  I have no idea how I look from behind, but I'm surprised that so many people say they can usually tell if someone is pregnant from behind.  It's a mystery to me.  I just carry out in front.  Anatomically, I'm not sure that there's any other way.

I'm tiring very easily these days.  I guess that's to be expected, but I'd really like to have a bit more energy.  I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to have the energy I need for labor.  I'm also beginning to freak out that I'm going to wind up delivering a huge baby.  Something tells me a 39+ week baby will be bigger than one born at 38 weeks.  I hope I don't have to blog about how I gave birth to a 10lb baby.

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there, Karen! I'm thinking of you and hoping you go soon. October has some AMAZING feast days to have a baby, so I'm sure your baby is waiting for just the right one. I am GREEN with envy that you are not able to wear maternity pants. If you saw my picture about 3 days before I had my baby, you would understand. Speaking of pictures, when do we get a belly shot? Please???

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...