Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Ouch!

In the past I haven't exactly been the best at handling pregnancy.  With Madeline and Ellie I pretty much complained about every pregnancy related symptom.  Pregnancy isn't necessarily a state in which I'm fond of being.

This time around I have handled pregnancy far better than I ever have.  I suppose these things get better with repeated practice.  I haven't hit the point of being considered "Massive Mood Swing Karen" and I've done a pretty good job about not complaining excessively about pregnancy related aches and pains.  I managed to brave the first trimester with less than seven naps spread out over a span of 10 weeks where I desperately needed a nap every day.  I've survived having my favorite dinner food banned from the menu as I deal with my aversion to chicken.  I'm managing to deal with the inevitable weight gain and the havoc it is wreaking on my poor feet.  But, I simply cannot just deal with the sensation that my abdominal muscles are being ripped apart.

When I was pregnant with Ellie I had a lot of issues with round ligament pain.  If you've ever experienced this, you know it's not a walk in the park by any means.  In fact, it's far more painful and longer lasting than labor.  I'd rather labor for a month than deal with a month of round ligament pain.  I was convinced that this pain was probably the worst pregnancy related pain I could have.  This time around something super stretched abdominal muscles have decided to prove that they are far more painful than any round ligament.

A few weeks ago I started having pains where it felt like my muscles were being pulled on the left side of my belly button.  I figured it was just the result of the baby growing and that it would stop eventually. After this started happening every few days I began to wonder what was going on.  I've had a few days where I wondered if maybe I had something seriously wrong with me.  At my last visit with the midwife I asked about the pain and was told it's perfectly normal and is simply the result of the muscles stretching and not having much support.  She suggested I try one of those belly bands to support my abdominal muscles.

Today the horrid tearing muscle pain is back.  Most of the time this pain subsides after an hour or two, but today it's been plaguing me since 8AM.  I'm keenly aware that just about everything I do requires my abdominal muscles to move in some way.  To say that today has been quite painful would be a gross understatement.

So at 34 weeks and 2 days, I think I've had enough of being pregnant.  I'm tired, my body hurts and I just want this to be over.  I tried the belly band for support and it made me feel worse.  Sitting down made me feel better for a little bit but then the pain resurfaced.  I can't imagine what the remainder of this pregnancy will have in store for me.  My biggest worry is that the ripping feeling that I have will actually result in a ripped abdominal muscle.  I wouldn't be surprised if it happens.

Dear Baby,
Aim for moving on to an area with plenty of leg room in about three weeks.  Look at it as a compromise.  You give up three weeks of living in cramped quarters and I'll wake up without complaint and tend to your every need.  Oh, and you can sprawl out as much as you want.  Think about it.
Love,
Mom
AKA: that warm not so squishy place you presently call home

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, I so feel your PAIN!!!! I had both the round ligament, and the stomach muscle thing with Karina! Ugh!!! The round ligament started at 8 weeks (yes, 8 WEEKS!), and the stomach muscle pain started in around 4 months. It NEVER.WENT.AWAY for 10 months, and never gave me one day of relief. I feel for you, and I will pray that your little one comes EARLY! I'm with you, I'd rather labor for months, than experience either of those pains ever again!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...