Monday, June 6, 2011

Mission Accomplished

For the first time in over 10 1/2 years of marriage, we have purchased a kitchen table.  This is not, however, the first time I've purchased kitchen chairs/seating.  I've done that, or have tried to do that enough times to make my head spin.  I had a horrible kitchen chair fiasco that occurred many years ago thanks to JC Penney's Catalog.  I can't even begin to tell you how much that fiasco has scarred me when it comes to buying kitchen furniture.

Anyway, if you've been reading my blog long enough you are sure to have seen pictures that show that we do actually have a kitchen table.  Our current kitchen table has a story.  It was purchased back in 1999 when Bryan got his own place from some AOL catalog (it was like the Fingerhut catalog).  We brought the table for about $100, but it arrived damaged by UPS and we were refunded our money and allowed to keep the table.  For the past 12+ years, we have enjoyed our free, damaged table.  What's not to like about a free kitchen table that has served us well?

While our table is still faithfully serving us, we are approaching an era where we need something bigger.  With a new baby on the way, a table for four isn't going to cut it for this soon to be party of five.  I've been trying to find another farmhouse table that is just like our current one only bigger for the past two years.  If I haven't been totally put off by the price, I've been put off by the table's appearance or overall dimensions.  Sadly, our kitchen layout leaves much to be desired in the kitchen seating department.  We have a rather large kitchen, but table placement is only logical in the area between the pantry and sliding glass door and that greatly limits me when it comes to table width.  Adding to the fun, is our powder room door that swings into the dining area. Fun!  That puts me in a position where we either need to install a pocket door or choose a table that can seat six that is less than six feet in length.  Then add to that the fact that I'm not ready to look at buying new kitchen chairs.  I went through a total misery to get the four chairs we have and I'm not about to put them out at the curb.

Fortunately the "Google machine" (Dodgeball, anyone?) helped me out tonight.  Of all places, I found what I needed at Wal-Mart.  I know, I go on about how much I loathe even thinking about setting foot in this store and then I go and order furniture of all things from them.  What can I say?  Desperation and pregnancy hormones make me resort to extreme measures.  The table I ordered had good reviews and I figure it can't be any worse than my current cheap table that I love.  They even had a bench that went with the table.  That allows me to have seating for six.

Sometime in the next week or two my table and bench will be ready for pick up at my local Wal-Mart.  I'm excited that I'll have a kitchen table that will seat six in the near future.  I'm already prepared to paint the apron and legs of both the table and bench to make them match the white paint on my chairs.    What excites me the most is the table will only take up a few extra inches in each direction since it's just ten inches longer and five inches wider.  I'm also pretty happy that I took care of the kitchen table situation for under $200 dollars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...