Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Peter Rabbit's Little Friend

Just a little while ago the girls and I went out back to harvest the strawberries which are quite bountiful at the moment. While we were picking we noticed that a lot of strawberries had nibbles taken out of them.  We were confused as to how our berries were being consumed given that we have a wire fence going around them to keep them safe from nibbling creatures.

A few minutes into picking, I was a bit startled when I saw something furry inches away from my hand.  Remember, my mom raised me to believe that every wild animal has rabies.  After letting out a scream, I took a moment to compose myself and get a closer look at the furry creature.  It was a baby bunny.  I managed to pet the poor, scared animal on the back.  It brought back memories of our bunny, Oswald, who passed away three years ago.  I was hoping to remove this little bunny from our garden but he decided to bolt through the berry plants.  Eventually he left the garden or found a very good hiding place.  I hope he grows very fast so he can no longer fit through the fence.

Despite our furry friend feasting on the berries we still brought in a nice heaping mixing bowl full of delicious strawberries.  I'm looking forward to many more.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...