Monday, January 24, 2011

Book Review: A Biblical Walk Through The Mass

I have to say that I was pretty excited when I saw that Edward Sri's A Biblical Walk Through The Mass was available though The Catholic Company's book reviewer program.  The book is based on the revised translation of the Mass that will go into effect this Advent.  I can't wait for the new translation of the Mass to be implemented, so having the opportunity to read a book that explains the biblical basis of this translation made me quite happy.

I've read a few books that walk you through the Mass from start to finish and all of them, this one included, have brought to light something I hadn't ever considered in the past.  What I particularly liked about this book was how clearly the author explains each aspect of the Mass.  When it comes to the new changes in the Roman Missal, this book offers the reasons why the new translation is more faithful to the Latin.  Throughout this book, readers will learn about the Mass' biblical roots.  References to the scriptural passages that are the foundations of various portions of the mass are found throughout the text.

This book is great as stand alone reading, but it is actually part of a larger study program on the Mass.  This program consists of five 30 minute sessions on DVD, and  a workbooks for group study (A leader's guide is also available.).  I did not have the opportunity to review the DVDs or the workbooks, but I can only imagine that they would be a great addition to this book.

Those who are interested in the upcoming changes to the Roman Missal will find this book to be highly informative.  I've been excited about the new translation of the Mass since I first read it, but I know there are others out there who do not feel the same way I do.  Perhaps after reading this book, those who are unsure about the new translation will have a deeper appreciation for it.

This review was written as part of the Catholic book reviewer program from The Catholic Company. To find more information on A Biblical Walk Through The Mass, please visit The Catholic Company.  They are also a great source of serenity prayer and baptism gifts.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this review. I enjoyed another book by Sri, which focussed on how the rosary is directly from scripture, so I'm looking forward to reading this one!

    I am very excited about the new liturgy, but I didn't know Sri also wrote this book. Maybe it will shed more light on this needed change.

    Thanks again.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...