Saturday, May 2, 2009

Why am I making lollipops?


Madeline's First Communion is now less than a week away.  I have a long list of things I have to do in order to get everything ready for next Saturday. I still have some yard work to do (A new variety of weeds grew for the third time in two weeks in the front garden--does it ever end?). I still have to buy some of the not so perishable food items and supplies needed for the brunch. And, I need to stress out about whether or not I'll be able to successfully put Madeline's hair into an updo before 8am next Saturday and also get myself and Ellie ready so we can be out the door by 8:30.  I want to put it out there that I am very envious of the mothers who have children that receive their First Communion at the 12:30 Mass.  If Madeline had the later Mass, I'd have her hair done by a professional and I'd have plenty of time to get things ready back at the house for the party.  
 Somehow I decided that today would be a great day to start making the lollipops for the party.  I slept for about 4 hours last night.  So I'm sleep deprived and slowly making lollipops in batches of 5 at a time.  Wilton, if you're out there, make candy molds that have more than 3 lollipops on them (I'm sure no one is using the teeny tiny crosses on the cross mould) and make two different moulds for the kneeling Communion child.  I'm not making the boy lollipops because I don't have a boy.  Making two girls and three crosses at a time is taking me forever.  It's 11pm now, and I started this project about 6 hours ago.  I have 20 lollipops done and 5 sitting in the fridge.  I think I have two more rounds to go.  This is a project that is much more enjoyable when I have a mould or two that have 6 or 7 lollipops each.  I remember being able to bang out 50 lollipops in two or three hours when Madeline was a toddler. I must have been an overachiever back then or I'm a slacker now.  I guess life was simpler when I only had one kid. God help me when/if a third child comes into this family. Surely, I will lose my mind.  I already can't keep track of who's who between the girls, the dog and Bryan.
I'm hoping I can get these lollipops finished soon so I can go to bed.  If I don't wake up before everyone else I'll wind up having a miserable rushed morning trying to get everyone ready for Mass.  Tomorrow is the only day of the week where I will willingly get out of bed at the unsavory hour of 6am.  The rest of the week you are lucky if you see me out of bed before 7:30.

1 comment:

  1. I now buy lollipop molds 2 at a time and look for ones with more smaller ones on each mold. The ones I did for the last Communion had 5 in each and I had 2 molds, so I could do 10 at a time. They dried in 10 minutes in the fridge, so I got them done in 2 one-hour sessions. Yours look nice!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...